Fretworks Crash Course
Join us for our exclusive 2 day Fretworks Class and learn professional refretting and fret levelling methods – on your own ELECTRIC GUITAR. From neck assessment, to removing frets, to fretboard planing, to refretting, to levelling, to crowning and lastly to final polishing. I now offer this class in a 2 day, 16 hour crash course with some specialty tools provided.
Fret work is a challenging area but this class is intended for any experience level. It is a thorough introduction to refretting, but like any skill, it requires practice to hone the skills taught (results will vary). And like all our other classes, all experience levels are welcome!
We will cover theory, proper removal of frets, planing and polishing the fingerboard, cleaning and treating the fret slots, installing new frets, leveling/crowning and polishing methods – on your own ELECTRIC GUITAR (Rosewood, unbound fretboard HIGHLY RECOMMENDED).
Approx. 16 Hours
Class Overview, Day 1:
- Refretting Theory and application, common problems and work arounds.
- Assessing neck integrity, checking for twists & warps using sight methods and tools.
- Strategize refret after assessment.
- Remove frets.
- Clean fretboard, plane out mild twists and imperfections.
- Clean fret slots.
- Prepare new frets, shape and size.
- Refret using traditional hammer-in method.
Class Overview, Day 2:
- Trim fret overhang
- Insure frets uniform height, level out inconsistencies
- File fret ends and bevel
- Recrown frets (re-shape)
- Polish out all tool marks
- Restring and play!
- Your Guitar, new set of strings
- Pen, pencil & calculator
- 2 x cloth, towel, or rag to set your guitar on (we’ll be using tables)
- Cloth/rag to clean your guitar post refret
- Neck rest
- Unused Paint Brush
- 40W Soldering Iron w/ brand new tip
- Sponge for cleaning solder iron
- Exacto/hobbyist knife
- Thin Viscosity Cyanoacrylate (Super) Glue -available at hobbyist stores or Lee Valley
- Cyanoacrylate Glue Solvent-available at hobbyist stores or Lee Valley
- Bottle of Lighter Fluid (ex. Ronsonol, Zippo, etc.)
- Black Sharpie
- Low-Tack Masking Tape
- 2″x 2″ Micro-Mesh Sanding Discs (set of 9, #1500-12000 grits) – available at Stewmac.com or Lee Valley
- Forged Fret Crowning File (NOT the Diamond Files)
- Fret-end Dressing File
- 6′ your choice fretwire (Stewart MacDonald is recommended)
Recommended Tools (*will be supplied/shared)
- Fret levelling file(s)
- Fret levelling bar
- Radius gauges
- Fingerboard guards
- Radius Blocks
- Fret Cutter
- Fret Puller
- Refret Saw
- Fret Slot Cleaning Tool
- Fretting Hammer
*Note that materials/supplies/tools may be available for purchase in class. Please contact for more information.